Wednesday, December 3, 2014

It's a Small World

November 20, 2014: Week 5
Area: Provo MTC
Companion: Elder Hamilton


Hello family! It was sooo good to hear from all of you! This week has been pretty good for the most part. First off, I want to tell you about a funny story that happened this week. On Friday night, I had the biggest epiphany I have ever received ever. So it all started with talking with our Sensei Watanabe Shimai. She told us a while ago that her little brother Will Watanabe played football for Timpview and she would always tell us about is games. For the first month, I never thought anything of it until Friday night, it hit me like a car (haha see what I did there)! I suddenly remembered that the Sheffields were related to a Watanabe family from Provo. And last summer while I was in Oakley with Mark, his cousin Will Watanabe ,was up there with his dad and we hung out with them. I put it all together and I figured out that my Japanese teacher in the MTC is related to the Sheffields!! I met her brother and her dad over a year ago in Oakley, Idaho. My mind was completely blown! The next morning, I asked her about it and she said she had a Clark and Polly Sheffield as her aunt and uncle. It was crazy. I know its not actually that cool but you have to find small things to get excited about in the MTC. 

This week hasn't really been much different than the other weeks. Just a whole lot of studying. Some days are really good where I feel I am learning the language and doing good, but there are other days that I feel like I don't. I just continue to pray and work hard in order to learn the Japanese language. I just hope I know enough by the time I fly out in a little less than four weeks. ITs crazy its kinda creeping up on me. I'm just excited to get to the real world! Also, it was way cool seeing bro and sister Hancock. I wanted to just stand next to them as they texted back and forth with Mom. Its really nice seeing familar faces around here. 

There is some exciting times coming up here at the MTC with it being Thanksgiving. Word on the street is that Elder Bednar is coming to speak but we don't know for sure. But one of the coolest parts is the song we are singing for it. Bro. Eiget, the choir director, told us last week that: "we have never sung this song at the MTC cause it is way hard and you need a lot of time to prepare but we are gonna do it anyways, we are gonna sing Come Thou Fount!" I'm pretty excited cause that is my favorite song. We will see how it turns out! 

Another funny thing that happened was that on Sunday, one of our Branch Presidency members was interviewing me last week. He looked at me and said: "Elder, its time we called a new district leader.....wait just kidding that's next week. Forget I said anything". So I'm starting to get the feeling that I'll be the new district leader on Sunday. Me and hamilton Choro's other calling is that we just called to be the Sacrament coordinator people. SO we just prepare the sacrament I guess. Also on Sunday, I taught District meeting and it was about enduring to the end. I actually used Jeffrey R. Holland's talk Cast not Therefore your Confidence a whole lot in the lesson. It went really well I think. The spirit was strong. Our lessons are going well with our investigators. On Monday night in TRC, we taught a Japanese lady named Emmy for probably the third time now. She said our lesson was really good and that our Japanese is improving a lot! So that was a big confidence booster. What me and Hamilton Choro are trying to work on is getting to know what the needs of the investigator are. It's hard to do that in Japanese cause you might not know how to say much or how to respond but we are gonna have a little get to know you session with our "kyudosha" tonight. 

We got to host again yesterday. Again, they assigned way too many hosts. They were extra prepared cause around 700 missionaries entered yesterday cause of Thanksgiving next week. I only got to host one again. It was way fun though cause they had free hot chocolate and I just stood out there drinking free hot chocolate talking to the guys in our zone. It was a party. The guy I hosted is from Orem and he's going to Chicago. So again, my person I hosted will leave long before I do. Oh well. Well that's probably the most exciting things to happen to me this week. One exciting thing I've been meaning to tell you is that they have Blueberry muffin top cereal here. It is absolutely glorious. I remember I would have those all the time when I was younger but they suddenly disappeared from stores. But now they have returned! It's like the Prodigal Son. It was very sad and depressing when the muffin tops decided to leave my house, but when they finally returned....oh how joyous the occasion!! Muffin tops time is happy time for sure!

Kelsey,
Thanks for all of your letters and treats! We love them! Lets see, in answering your questions: 1. No, I haven't dared to partake of the forbidden fruit, I don't want to know what its like. 2. I think the cream soda tree is real. We asked one of our teachers about it and he says he doesn't really smell like cream soda so I don't know. I don't even know where it is. 3. The foods good but you get really sick of the routine of the food here real fast. That's why we love going to the temple cafeteria for a change. I have been thinking about that lately too. I miss singing and jamming with you, especially that Mariah Carey song where she is basically yelling at me that its Christmas. Seriously Mariah, we know Christmas is here and that I probably care about it. You can just chill out. I told mom this this morning, but yeah that probably was me on Sunday. I was wearing a blue tie and a grey suit and I was doing a temple walk around the time you said you drove past. That is so cool!! I wish I could've seen you guys!! Well I love you a ton. GOod luck with school and preparing for the mission. DOn't go crazy while shopping like I did. Love you so much! Have a good week! Talk to you soon!

Matthew,
Ahhh!, I want to go biking sooo bad! I want to go do stuff so bad in the outside world! You probably know how it is in the MTC. It's good and fun, but it doesn't compare to being in the real world. I'm just excited to get to the field and you probably were too when you were in my position. You are right though, it is pretty neat to learn a new language. It's hard and frustrating at times but I learned that our motivation needs to be out of this world cause we need to study hard so that we can communicate with the Japanese so they can hear the gospel. Its kinda cool to think about in a few weeks ill be talking to the Japanese people and teaching them. Its pretty exciting.  Love you! Talk to you soon!

Erin,
Sounds like life is busy at the Fugals like usual. And Daxton is turning one in a couple weeks!!? That is so crazy. Is he almost walking? Does he still scream and squeal constantly? I hope so cause that was way cute. Tell Avery I love her and miss her. She looks great in her Captain America costume!! Also, give Daxton a big hug and kiss for me! Have a great week! Love you guys!


Dad,
Thanks for your letter and all of the sports updates. My zone craves for news of the outside world and I'm their guy thanks to you! But it sounds like the Jazz are fun to watch this year! Maybe I should send home a tape recording of me speaking Japanese. I still don't really know much and all I really know is gospel related things though. Maybe I'll send one when I'm a little more fluent! I will get to speak to you guys in just a few short weeks though!! Things are gonna pick up here at the MTC in the next few weeks. I think we start Skype TRCs on Wednesday where we skype with native Japanese members in Japan. I am terrified for that cause they speak so fast and are hard to understand. It will be fun though. I think my best advice for your Sunday School class is to get a habit of prayer and scripture study while they are young. I didn't really do a great job of that before the mission and I regret it. Scripture study here has been way cool for me just because I am seeing things that I never saw before the mission and how it actually applies to me in our day. Also with prayer, to just learn to say real meaningful prayers each day and growing that relationship with Heavenly Father. Another thing is love and charity. Before my mission, I had never prayed for more love and charity. I never thought it was important. But being in the mission field, love and charity is missionary work. Love and charity is actually the converting power for the investigator. That was very surprising when I learned that in preach my gospel. I think just encourage your students to pray for love, and to learn to see everyone how God and Jesus see everyone. I have been praying for that a lot and I have received some of that love and charity. It is pretty amazing. I think those are some of the most important things to learn I think. I hope that makes sense. Good luck with your lesson Dad. I love you!! You are my hero and always have been. Have a great week and I will talk to you soon!

Mom, 
Thanks for all of the love and support and prayers you have sent my way. It really helps me get through the tough times of the MTC. We really do have an awesome family. Mike wrote me again today and he told me to gear up for the best two years of your life. He told me how much the gospel has changed his life and the people he has taught. I'm excited to be able to do the same thing. Don't worry about me, I'm doing great. I'm not getting fat either, I think I've lost weight even. Boetcher Choro, the one from Orem, got me to go running around the temple at six yesterday with a couple of other Elders. I think we are gonna do that every day cause its way nice to get out of the walls as much as possible. And the temple looks way cool when its lit up. Love you!

Love,
Elder Nathan Didericksen

No comments:

Post a Comment