Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Japanese John Williams lives in Hirosaki......and I hate ice.

February 15, 2015: Week 17
Area: Hirosaki
Companion: Dowdy Choro

Hey everyone! It was so great to hear from you. It sounds like you had a fun week of valentines celebrations! Its crazy that its been a year since we beat Lone Peak! Ahhh, I wish I could live that day over again. This week was pretty good; there were some funny things that happened.

I'll start out with Tuesday. On Tuesday, probably one of the more embarrassing/funny moments happened to me. I was on splits with Butler Choro and we were walking in this neighborhood to go visit a less active. We were approaching these two Japanese high school girls and Butler Choro tells me to start talking to them and invite them to Ekaiwa. (English class) So i say *Alright I got this*, then I turned my head and took a step towards them and slipped on the ice so bad right as I walked by them. My legs flew up in the air and I landed on my back soooo hard, throwing my umbrella as I did it! I sat there on my back while the two girls just stared at me in confusion. They then handed me my umbrella and ran away. It was soo funny. Me and Butler Choro were laughing for like 20 minutes straight. It was pretty embarrassing.

Later that night, we went to the Hirosaki snow festival with our mission leader in Hirosaki Park. It was pretty cool, but it was absolutely freezing cause a blizzard decided to roll in when we got there. It was pretty cool though, there were lots of cool sculptures with lights and things like that. I didn't get too many cool pictures though cause my camera died when we got there unfortunately.

The next day, we went to a kendo tournament that was pretty close to our apartment. One of the other elder's investigators is a famous Kendo sensei. He is pretty well known in the Aomori perfecture so we all went to it because he was a judge at it. It was pretty cool. Its like extreme fencing with bamboo sticks while you are dressed as a samurai. They were yelling like ninjas the whole time; it was pretty awesome. Then later that night, we got invited to go see a production of Handels Messiah. One of the members of the branch was in the ensemble and a bunch of the Branch was going so they invited our district to go. It was pretty cool/a little boring. It was all in English too which was nice. But the best part was their conductor. I swear, he is a Japanese version of John Williams, which is very fitting because he is a conductor/composer. After the concert, the woman in the branch talked to us and told us that Japanese John Williams had actually met missionaries while he was in America. She is going to give us his contact information and we are going to go visit him! We got Japanese John Williams as a referral!

Then on Sunday after church, we decided to walk around and help people with snow shoveling. We found this lady and she asked us to get on her roof and shovel snow off it. It was pretty scary cause I'm not a fan of heights and it was slippery, but we managed to do it. She kept laughing in disbelief cause she had two white teenagers on her roof doing snow shoveling. After we were done, she tried to pay us money. We told her we wouldn't accept it but she wouldn't take no for an answer! She even tried to shove it in my pocket! It was pretty funny.

None of our investigators came to church today unfortunately. It is really difficult to get them to church; it's just not their number one priority right now. We are still gonna work with them. We did get a bunch of referrals this week though that we are gonna try to contact, which will be good.

Things are going good though; we just can't wait for it to stop snowing though. One more month! And, I hit my four month mark yesterday!! That;s crazy; it's going by fast. I won't be a new missionary in just a few weeks!

Thanks for sharing what has been said at church. It's cool to see other people's points of view and how the gospel has affected their lives. I miss our ward! Congrats Dad on being in the Stake Sunday School Presidency! That should be fun.

Well that is about it! It was a fun week, but the missionary work was a little slow; a lot of our appointments fell through. And it's still pretty hard cause I still don't understand much and feel clueless a lot of the time. Not understanding gets a little old after two months, but I guess that's how it is for everyone who learns Japanese. It's still fun though and I'm having awesome experiences! I love you guys! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Didericksen

 Snow Festival

 Kendo Tournament

 Blizzard!

District


No comments:

Post a Comment