Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Well, I'm transferring again.....

July 20, 2015: Week 39
Area: Izumi

Companion:  Hirano Choro

Hey everyone! How is everyone doing? I hope that you are all doing well.My week was pretty good. We had transfer calls on Saturday morning and I got some surprising news. I'm transferring again..... My mind was pretty much set that I would be staying being that I had only been here for one transfer, but I guess God thought otherwise. So, I'm headed out of Izumi and going up north to a town called Kitakami. I don't really know much about Kitakami, but I know that it's north of here, meaning as we go into the hottest part of the year, I'll be a little further north so it won't be quite as hot as Sendai. It's definitely smaller than Izumi that's for sure. I've heard it's kind of in the middle of absolute country and city, so not tiny but not huge. 

Also, I'm in a trio companionship again. These aren't new to me; I've already been in one for two transfers. My comps are Uehara Choro who has been out maybe a year I think. He's from Okinawa and I heard he's pretty cool. And my other comp is Morris Choro. He is going into his 4th transfer I think. I don't really know much about him, but I'm sure he is cool. I'm finally not the youngest missionary in my apartment anymore!

So yesterday in church, I had to tell the members in the ward that I'm transferring and they didn't really care all that much because I just got here and they don't really know me. It makes me a little sad because the members here are so cool and I barely had any time to be in Izumi to get to know them and build good relationships. It's kind of a bummer. There are a few members I got to know well, but since it's a bigger ward, I wasn't able to really get to know a lot of people. Maybe I'll be back someday. Now I'm going to a branch that consists of maybe 15 members.

This week was pretty good. Last pday, we rode our bikes out to Tagajo and went to a new aquarium they have there. The other Elders' investigator came and even waited in line and bought us tickets while we were riding over. He's the best. The ride over was so hot and humid. It was about 15 miles and when we got there, we were dripping in sweat. The aquarium was way fun though; it reminded me of going to the one in Draper with the family. There was even a cool dolphin and seal show.

Before the show started, Taguchi San saw someone he knew and asked me to give him a Book of Mormon, so I did, and he went and explained it to his friend and gave it to her. It was pretty cool. Not often do you have an investigator who will do missionary work with you. I'll miss that guy. 

My favorite fish of the day was the mambo. It's this way retarded looking fish that looks like it should not be alive due to some weird birth defect. It looks like the most unintelligent fish of all time. We love the mambo!

Then we rode the 15 mile ride back, almost experiencing death by dehydration and went to FHE at Taguchi Sans house. We had a discussion on Alma 7 all together and had a good dinner. It was a great time.

Tuesday night, we went to a member's house named Sasaki Shimai. Her husband recently died, and I think she's pretty lonely, so she wanted the elders to come over. She fed us a pretty gnarly dinner. She gave us eel on rice. It actually was pretty good, but eel is pretty interesting. You could feel the bones and the weird spiky things they have while you chewed. It's pretty weird. She was funny; she would keep giving us more and more food even though we told her we were done. It was a good night. We were able to share a message about the plan of salvation and I talked about the things I learned when I was with my companion who's mom died a few transfers ago. I learned a lot from him about having an eternal perspective. It was cool to be able to share that.

Thursday, we had district meeting. Hamblin Choro wanted to give his last training in English and asked me to translate. Goodness...translating is hard. I can't think of how to translate something while trying to listen to the person talk. I got destroyed to a certain extent. It was fun though, but I learned I still have a long way to go.

Friday night was pretty cool. Yamauchi Shimai, probably the coolest member in Izumi, invited the elders over for a gyouza party. She also invited a family over who she is friends with and wants to share the gospel. The mom is an American who married a Japanese man and they have a daughter. The mom and daughter can speak both Japanese and English and the dad can speak a little English. We had a nice dinner and got to know each other a little, then Yamauchi Shima pulls out a Book of Mormon and starts to teach them. It was awesome. She went to Moroni 7 and started teaching about charity and family. We talked about how important these two things are to us. Then the lady, Margaret, talked about how when her grandma died, she couldn't accept the doctrine of other Christian churches that believe if someone dies without knowing Christ, they are going to hell. She said she searched and searched and was baptized into several churches. It was cool to be able to hear her problems and to tie all of the solutions to the gospel. I know that I've been a member my whole life, so I might be biased, but when I hear stories like hers, I'm confused as to why some people don't accept the gospel because it makes so much sense to me; it answers every question you might have in life. I hope Margaret and her family come to realize that someday and give this church a chance.

Then on Saturday, we had Ito Nozimi Shimai's baptism. It was cool to be able to see only my second baptismal service on my mission. You can't take those for granted here. We spent most of the day setting up for it. A lot of people came to support her and it went really well. The missionaries and a few members also sang "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus" and it brought a special spirit. Then yesterday, I got to stand in the circle for her confirmation. It was a special experience. I hope she continues to stay firm and will grow into a strong member. I think she will.

Also, yesterday was my last Sunday in Izumi. They didn't have me speak though because they had already assigned four speakers, two being the 2 missionaries who are returning home. I'll miss being in this ward, but I'm excited for the next chapter in my mission. Hopefully, I can stay there a little longer than 6 weeks this time. I really learned a lot this past transfer. It was kind of tough, but I learned a lot of patience and Christ like love. I realized I'm nowhere to being perfect and have a long way to go, but maybe someday. Thanks for all that you guys do for me. I love you guys! Have a great week!

Also, before I go, I want to wish my wonderful mom a Happy Birthday this Tuesday! I don't know where I would be without you. You've done so much for me, stuff for me in which I did not deserve at all because I was an idiot at times. You are always there for me and whoever is in need of your help. You're the most selfless person I know. I love you Mom. Here's a hug from half way across the world. I love you!! 


Love you guys! Have a good week!

Love,
Elder Nathan Didericksen


Brodie Choro and me at the aquarium

The Mambo!

My district 

No comments:

Post a Comment